Do you experience sharp, burning, or electric shock-like pain that travels down your leg? Does your pain intensify when sitting, standing, or walking for extended periods, disrupting your sleep and making it difficult to find a comfortable position at night? You could be suffering from a condition known as sciatica.
Sciatica is a term used to describe a specific type of pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve, which is the longest nerve in the human body. Originating in the lower back, it extends through the buttocks and travels down the back of each leg.
At Brick Pain Relief & Wellness Clinic, we specialize in non-surgical treatments for sciatica. Our team is dedicated to understanding the underlying causes of your pain and developing a personalized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs.
Regain control over your life
Call us to explore our treatments for sciatica
Common Causes and Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica can be caused by various underlying conditions that lead to irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve.
Some of the most common causes of sciatica include:
- Herniated Disc: A herniated or bulging disc is one of the most common causes of sciatica. When the soft inner material of a spinal disc protrudes through the tough outer shell, it can press against the nearby sciatic nerve roots, leading to pain and discomfort.
- Spinal Stenosis: Spinal stenosis is a condition in which the spinal canal narrows, often due to age-related changes or degenerative disc disease. This narrowing can put pressure on the sciatic nerve as it exits the spine.
- Spondylolisthesis: Spondylolisthesis occurs when one vertebra slips forward or backward in relation to the adjacent vertebrae. This displacement can pinch the sciatic nerve and cause pain.
- Piriformis Syndrome: The sciatic nerve passes beneath the piriformis muscle in the buttock. If this muscle becomes tight or spasms, it can compress the nerve, leading to symptoms similar to sciatica.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: Over time, the discs that cushion the vertebrae in the spine can degenerate, causing changes in the spine’s structure that may lead to sciatic pain.
The most common symptoms of sciatica can include:
- Radiating pain
- Numbness and tingling
- Muscle weakness
- Increased pain with movement
- Difficulty with balance and coordination
Recognizing these common causes and symptoms of sciatica is the first step toward seeking appropriate diagnosis and treatment. If you’re experiencing persistent sciatic pain, contact our office today for a free consultation.
Treatments for Sciatic Nerve Pain and Discomfort
Sciatic nerve pain can be a highly debilitating condition, but the good news is that there are various effective treatments available at our Brick pain relief clinic to alleviate the pain and discomfort associated with it. The choice of treatment depends on the underlying cause and severity of the condition.
- Chiropractic Care: Chiropractic adjustments are a non-invasive and effective treatment option for many individuals with sciatica. Our chiropractor, Dr. Walsh, uses hands-on techniques to manipulate the spine and alleviate pressure on the sciatic nerve. By restoring proper spinal alignment, chiropractic care can reduce pain and improve overall function.
- Regenerative Medicine: Therapies like Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) and Human Cellular Tissue therapy can promote tissue repair and alleviate sciatica symptoms. PRP injections, in particular, use the body’s own growth factors to stimulate healing and reduce inflammation.
At Brick Pain Relief & Wellness Clinic, we specialize in non-surgical treatments for sciatica. We are dedicated to understanding the underlying causes of your pain and developing a personalized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs.
If you are suffering from sciatica in Brick, Lakewood Township, Toms River, Point Pleasant, or any city in Ocean County, we can help. Call (732) 899-5400 to schedule a free consultation and let us help you get the relief you deserve.